Dark circles under the eyes (which are also known as Periorbital dark circles) are dark blemishes around the eyes. In addition, black circles under the eyes or dark circles are more difficult to treat than bags under the eyes and are rarely caused by temporary conditions. Very often, they are the result of some combination of these conditions such as chronic stress, lack of sleep, menstrual disorders, medications, pregnancy and poor diet. For some people, dark circles are bruising and heredity. However, dark circles often offer a bigger problem for people who suffer from sensitivities and allergies.
What are the causes of dark circles under the eyes?
There are many causes of this symptom, including:
- Allergies: the blood vessels that drain from the area around your eyes can be dilated by nasal congestion causing the eyes to darken.
- Heredity: black circles under the eyes are often an inherited trait, and can occur in childhood. Most of the children will grow with them.
- Lacks of sleep: this is the most common cause, yet the easiest to prevent.
- Oversleeping: can also cause black eye circles.
- Iron deficiency: can prevent the blood from carrying enough oxygen to tissues around the eyes.
- Minor trauma: of course, it causes the appearance of a black eye.
- Fluid retention: it often occurs with pregnancy or weight gain.
- Lifestyle: too much drinking or smoking can lead to under-eye circles. Plus, people who use cocaine or amphetamines or who drink too much coffee may have difficulty getting sufficient sleep.
- Too much exposure to the sun: exposure too much to the sun causes your body to produce more melanin.
- Skin pigmentation abnormalities: The skin around the eyes is thin that is why your blood vessels are more visible through it. By which mean, irregular distribution of the melanin that gives the skin its color can cause dark circles to appear under the eyes. This is usually a problem for many people.
- Mononucleosis: mononucleosis can also cause the eyes to appear swollen and puffy. This is partly due to the fatigue which people feel when they are suffering from mononucleosis, and partly because this illness causes a yellowing of the skin around the eyes and them (it is called jaundice).
- Age: As we get older, we lose so many of the collagen and fat surrounding our eyes. This magnifies the property of the dark eye circles.
- Excess salt in the diet: provokes fluid retention through your body, which includes beneath the eyes.
- Periorbital cellulitis: Periorbital cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the eyelid or eyelids. If it is treated promptly with antibiotics, anyhow, it is nothing to worry about.
How to remove dark circles under the eyes using home remedies?
Get enough sleep[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B01HLCU8WE” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51oHwB3CrXL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”375″]
Get full of sleep nightly. It is not totally clear why inadequate sleep results in dark circles under the eyes, but the lack of sleep tends to provoke the skin to reduces circulation, and become paler (hence increasing the appearance of darkness under the eyes). However, it is also believed that too little time lying down is an etiology in itself. Remember to remove all eye makeup before going to bed at night. When you get older, your eyes can look much more tired on a continuing basis if you don’t. Determine how much sleep you need. (It changes for different people in different periods through their lives, but it is usually 7 to 9 hours per night.) Try to get your target quantity for two weeks regularly to see the greatest result. Furthermore, drugs and alcohol can affect adversely the quality of your sleep.
To obtain the best result, abstain from these products or use them only in moderation. You should consume enough vitamins that assist sleep. A lack of sleep, in association with poor vitamin absorption seems to decrease adrenal function. The reduction of adrenal function you have, the insufficient vitamin B6 you seem to absorb. The few quantity of B6 you absorb, the few your adrenal glands function and you end up in a vicious circle. Regular vitamins intake, sleep, good magnesium or calcium support in the form of eating a lot of greens (which are higher in magnesium and calcium than dairy products are) and a good mineral supplement restores adrenal function.
Cucumber[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B01EGRMPUA” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/515wiXp7EeL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”500″]
Cucumbers contain astringent and skin-whitening properties that help fix naturally those raccoon eyes. Additionally, they have a refreshing and soothing effect. By only cut a cucumber into slices as you need and freeze them in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes and place the slices on the affected area for at least about 10 minutes. And then wash the area with water. You can practice this twice daily for a week or more. Another way is that you can mix lemon juice with cucumber juice in equal amounts. You can use a cotton pad to apply the mixture on your affected area and let it sit for at least 15 minutes and then wash it off with water. Practice this remedy daily for at least one week.
Orange juice[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”407″ identifier=”B004GPBS42″ locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51Vb2BV9y2BiL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”500″]
it can help remove dark circles from under the eyes because orange juice is rich in both vitamin A and C content. You only add two to three drops of glycerin to orange juice and soak well a cotton ball to apply to your under-eye skin. You will get the benefits of the vitamins containing in orange as well as the natural glow glycerin gives to your skin.
Tomatoes[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”279″ identifier=”B01A27FO10″ locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/31gpU8EQJSL-1.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”300″]
Tomatoes have anti-aging and whitening features that can brighten your skin to a great extent. You just mix one-half teaspoon of lemon juice with a teaspoon of tomato juice. And apply this paste on your dark circles and allow it to sit for ten minutes. Rinse it off with water and follow this remedy two times per day for a few weeks. Most importantly using tomato juice will also work with this. Moreover, you can also drink one glass of fresh tomato juice with some mint leaves added, salt, and lemon juice. For the best results, you should to immediately drink this fresh juice after making it. Drink it once or twice per day for about a week.
Potatoes[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”194″ identifier=”B007S9ULGY” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/21X21nLZN8L.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”259″]
Potatoes are an amazing source of lots of vitamin C, which is great among other things for the synthesis of collagen to enhance younger-looking, healthier skin. Extract the juice from the potato and soak some cotton ball in the juice. Place the pads on your eyes for about 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
Vitamin E oil[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B00CHTX1AS” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/31Rs2BQsBCRL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”214″]
Vitamin E helps you fight against the free radicals that cause signs of aging like wrinkles. Simply apply a drop of oil (a little goes a long way) to your dark under eye circles and gently massaging it into the skin before bed at night. Leave this oil on your skin overnight and in the morning. And then rinse it with warm water.
Lemon Juice[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”369″ identifier=”B004RZ63KK” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41kGKj3FXZL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”500″]
lemon juice contains vitamin C which can also help remove dark circles under the eyes due to its skin-lightening properties. Use a soft cotton makeup remover pads to apply fresh lemon juice over your eyes. Sit it on for around 10 minutes and rinse it off with water. Repeat this one time per day for a few weeks. Another choice is making a thick paste by blending of 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, one tablespoon lemon juice, turmeric powder and a pinch of besan (gram flour). You can gently apply this paste around your eyes. Rinse it well with clean water after 10 to 15 minutes applying. You are encouraged to do this two or three time every week to get the satisfactory result.
Cold compress[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B00W0CIMH4″ locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41NXg4TIsnL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”500″]
you perhaps have heard that applying cucumbers on your eyes will help remove bags, but it is actually the cool temperature that soothes the area. Cucumbers happen to be the perfect size, texture, and shape to treat under-eye bags, so go ahead and slice one up just make sure it has been chilling in the refrigerator beforehand. If you allergy with a cucumber or you don’t have it, just wet a few teabags and chill them in the freezer or refrigerator before applying them over your eyes. Use a soothing tea, like peppermint or chamomile, so that you can get at the same time the advantages of aromatherapy.
Coconut oil[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B00DS842HS” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51EhAfSaq8L.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”422″]
coconut oil is the best method for whitening dark under your eye circles since it is a powerful gentle and natural anti-inflammatory. In addition, it even moisturizes while it lightens to help prevent fine lines and wrinkles under the eyes. Like vitamin E oil, you can use coconut oil by just rubbing it on your under eye area and let it sit overnight and then rinse it off in the morning.
Exercise and meditation[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B0030KDIWY” locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/51tZM3nFjBL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”500″]
Regular exercise helps enhance the circulation by bringing blood flow to the skin to transform an aging, dull complexion into younger-looking, brighter skin including the sensitive skin around the eyes. In addition, the daily release of endorphins into your circulation can help keep away anxiety and depression, keeping you calmer, happier and more balanced. Meditation also keeps stress (and fine lines and the wrinkles caused by stress) at bay.
Teabags[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B001BLCIN4″ locale=”US” src=”/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/41i8mJA3KrL.jpg” tag=”eyyaa-20″ width=”333″]
Of course, the tannin in the teabag sometimes can help ease down under-eye bags. Just water and dunk two tea bags into the hot water and bob it up and down until they are soaked through. Remove and allow it to cool on a plate. If possible, cover face, eyes, nose, with the face washers or paper towel. Comfortably lie down somewhere. Put a soaked teabag on each of your eyes. Place up your feet; relax for two to three minutes. Remove the teabags after a little chilling out. Exactly, when you check the mirror again things will look a little less puffy.
Prevention tips for dark circles under the eyes
You should eat a balanced, nutritious and healthy food to stop the black circles under the eyes. However, mineral or vitamin deficiencies become a very common cause of the cosmetic problems. Sometimes dark circles also lead to inadequate antioxidants or vitamin K deficiency. A deficiency in vitamin B12 results into dark circles under the eyes. Here are the prevention tips for you.
- Eat foods that contain antioxidant pigments, like bilberries, cranberries, black currant, parsley onions, and legumes to stop the dark circles.
- Consume more vegetables and fruits, particularly leafy green vegetables, spinach, and cabbage to make dark circles disappear.
- Eat more foods which are rich in folic acid or taking fish oil supplements and vitamin for dark circles, namely, B, C, D, and E that is also helpful for the treatment of your dark circles.
- Drinking more water in such cases is recommended because dark circles under the eyes can be an indication of dehydration also.
- Drink enough water or fluids to keep you hydrate and improve circulation. This help in flushing out toxins from your body, which can contribute to the occurrence of the dark circles.
- Consult with your doctor to diminish your dark circles if required take vitamin supplements for dark circles.
- Stop smoking: It is not only better to stop smoking from the health point of view, but also as it causes blood vessel (vascular) problems. Smoking leads to cause your blood vessels appear visible and bluer. Therefore, quitting smoking or reducing it helps in preventing dark circles under your eyes.
- Slash salt intake: Excess salt can imbalance your blood circulation which results in your blood vessels to appear bluer under your skin. Excessive salt in your body also makes your body retain water at unusual places, even around the eyes. This can contribute to dark circles under your eyes. Cut down on salt consumption as a way for treatment of the dark circles under eyes.
Our last words
In rare cases, dark circles under eyes may be a sign of a more serious medical condition. Periorbital dark circles have a wide range of different causes, and despite what most people seem to think, fatigue is not the only one. While lack of sleep can and alcohol both can lead to dark circles under eyes. However, there are also numerous of illnesses that can have this effect, and some people are just genetically predisposed to look that way from childhood. The combination of a fair complexion and thin skin is often the etiology.
Additional sources: MedScape, WebMD, Mayo Clinic, Health.com